A program of Ada County District Court
|Drug Court Coordinator:||Marreen Baker Burton|
|Address:||200 W. Front Street, Room 220A, Boise, ID 83702|
The Ada County Drug Court Program was established in February of 1999, funded in part by a two-year federal grant from the Office of Justice Programs. The Drug Court is a completely voluntary diversion program designed to emphasize treatment instead of incarceration. The program provides an opportunity for certain felony offenders to choose closely court monitored rehabilitation instead of penal disposition of their case.
Treatment of substance abuse and rehabilitation are the primary objectives.
The goals of the program include:
- Reducing substance abuse and recidivism significantly among targeted defendants.
- Reducing reliance upon incarceration as a means of dealing with substance abuse issues.
- Making continued efforts to improve the program and develop strategies for funding sources beyond the grant period.
The Drug Court target population is Ada County residents who are:
- Charged with felony possession of a controlled substance
- Charged with a property crime which is drug related
- Felony Probationer with substance abuse problems.
Eligibility standards have been approved by the Drug Court Judge, the Ada County Public Defender, and the Ada County Prosecutor. The Drug Court has a program capacity of 229 defendants.
Program participants plead guilty to a felony charge and then enter an intensive 4-phase treatment program scheduled to last a minimum of one year. Participants attend counseling groups, 12-step meetings, individual counseling, and case management sessions, have regularly scheduled court appearances, and provide random urine samples. In most cases, upon successful completion of treatment, the defendant will graduate from the program, the guilty plea will be set aside, and the criminal charges dismissed.
A complete program description is included in the DRUG COURT HANDBOOK. Drug Court Sessions are held each Tuesday and Wednesday evening from 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. at the Ada County Courthouse, 200 W. Front St., Boise, Idaho.
- Ada County Drug Court
- Ada County Prosecutor's Office, Drug Court
- Idaho Drug Courts
- Judge Copsey's Order Adopting Procedure for Termination from Drug Court II
- "Painting the Current Picture: A National Report Card on Drug Courts and Other Problem Solving Court Programs in the United States", May 2004 [in PDF format].
- "The Kootenai and Ada County Drug Courts: Outcome Evaluation Findings", updated July 2005 [in PDF format].
Drug Court JudgesDrug Court Coordinator: Marreen Baker Burton - (208)287-7670
Ada County Prosecuting Attorney: (208)287-7700
Ada County Public Defender: (208)287-7400
Ada County Treatment Services Center (A.C.T.S.)
400 N. Benjamin Ln., Ste. 200
Boise, ID 83704
Office Telephone: (208) 287-7660
UA Call-in Line:
Available for calls between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. for that day's colors only.
Must be called 7 days per week, including holidays.
UA testing is done between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. only.